The travel and tourism industry is a huge global industry that meets the needs of those who must be away from home travel terms of providing facilities and services such as hotel accommodation, air and road transport. Close to one billion people are involved in international travel in this industry that generates billions of dollars annually. Sometimes it is making a decision as to which industry to work for in view of the many options can be very difficult that are available today all over the world. Below are five reasons why you should consider working in the travel and tourism industry.
1. There are plenty of job opportunities. The travel and tourism industry has a lot of employment opportunities for job seekers. You can work in aviation, road, rail and water transport, accommodation providers, such as hotels and lodges, leisure and business travel agents and tour guides. It is now also possible to work at home thanks to the technology that is useful for some people, such as mothers a child and do not want to be away from home.
2. The perks are good. The travel industry offers rewards that do many other industries. For example, those who can get working in the aviation industry free tickets for themselves and immediate family members to fly to any destination that the airline they work for to fly. Those who work as travel agents can get reduced travel fares and even pay reduced accommodation rates. Then there are the introductory packages that those who work in the industry have the opportunity to participate. Think of a fully paid trip to places like the Seychelles, France, the Kenyan coast of Mombasa just to name a few.
3. It is a growing industry. Despite the recent recession as a result of the threat of terrorism and the global recession, travel industry players are optimistic about growth. In good times and bad times do people always have the urge to move. And with more and more places more accessible for air and with both air travel and hotel rates coming down to meet peoples pocket there is reason to believe that the travel industry will continue to grow and will reach more markets and that is good news for service providers.
4. It’s never boring. Working in the industry means that you almost new people from time to time will satisfy. This is especially true for those who work as frontline staff in travel agencies, airline offices or hotels. Those who work in the aviation and flight attendants have the opportunity to travel to different parts of the world, visiting different cities and see and experience different cultures. That can never be a boring job.
5. You do not have to spend years working in the industry. You may like a certain appeal, but may be discouraged because of the years of study involved in learning it you from participating in it. Not so with the travel and tourism industry. Three to six months may be enough depending on what you are studying for qualifications to start working towards this exciting industry. Some people because of their love for the work and the experience gained in certain sectors of the industry have even started working and studying for paper qualifications later.